First, check to see if there is a branch of your bank from your home country in the Akron Area with convenient banking services.
- For short stays or limited banking needs, you may wish to use your debit card from your bank from your home country.
- Please be aware that there may be charges for international transactions from your banking institution and from credit card institutions if used as a credit card.
If you need to or wish to open an account while you are here, these tips should help:
The University of Akron now has a PNC Bank branch on the first floor of the Student Union.
- For more information about the bank and ATM locations on campus, click here or call 330-375-8377.
- Free checking account – $ 50 minimum deposit, No Service Fees.
- ATM card is issued after 1 week. You would receive starter checks to use until then.
- 2 forms of ID required: Passport / School ID / Credit Card / International Drivers License.
- Fees – There is a fee for having a negative balance. International wires are $30 per wire.
- There may be fees for non-bank ATM transactions.
- Account must be open for 180 days. There is a $30 fee for closing prior to 180 days.
- This information is subject to change. Please check with bank personnel for the most up to date information.
Other Banking Options:
Fifth Third Bank
219 S. Main St.
195 S. Main St.
IMPORTANT: CHECK WITH WHATEVER BANK YOU DECIDE TO DO BUSINESS WITH TO LEARN HOW YOUR ACCOUNT(S) WORK.
BE SURE TO KNOW ALL PENALTIES AND FEE CHARGES, AS WELL AS FEDERAL BANKING REGULATIONS REGARDING FEES AND CHARGES.
- Some banks also have minimum balance requirements.
- At banks and points of purchase, it is mandatory to have 2 forms of ID.
- You can use your University ID card and a major credit card as forms of ID.
- We do not recommend that you carry your passport with you.
- You must sign your traveler’s check when purchasing the item.
- You can use your traveler’s checks as cash when purchasing items in most circumstances.